Chesapeake ERgent Care
Emergency Medicine located in Gambrills, MD
Your abdomen reaches from just below your chest to the top of your groin and contains many vital organs. Abdominal pain develops in any one of these organs and can also start in your chest. The severity of your pain doesn’t always correlate with the seriousness of your problem. To find out what is causing your abdominal pain, schedule an appointment: call, click, or stop by Chesapeake ERgent Care in Gambrills, Maryland.
Abdominal Pain Q & A
What is abdominal pain?
When it comes to a stomach ache, the causes of abdominal pain aren’t usually severe and easily diagnosable and treatable. However, it’s especially crucial to seek medical treatment at Chesapeake ERgent Care when your abdominal pain lasts for more than a week, or you suffer from additional symptoms, including:
- Persistent constipation, nausea, or vomiting
- Blood in your stools or vomit
- Severe tenderness or swelling in your abdomen
- Jaundice — yellowish discoloration of the skin
Pain from your chest, back, or pelvis sometimes originates from your abdomen. There are many possible causes of abdominal pain, including:
- Heart attack
- Irritation in the lining around your lungs
- Blood clots in your lungs
Abdominal or chest wall pain
- Inflammation of your rib cartilage
- Injury including blunt trauma and muscle pulls
- Reflux disease
- Irritation of the lining of your stomach
- Inflammation of your pancreas, gallbladder, or pouches that form in your colon
- Passage of gallstones
- Infections including appendicitis
Functional problems of the abdomen
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Blocked arteries or veins
- Urinary tract issues
Pelvic problems in women
- Ovarian cysts or cancer
- Infection of the fallopian tubes
- Ectopic pregnancy
- Fibroid tumors
How is abdominal pain diagnosed?
To determine the cause of your abdominal pain, the medical professionals at Chesapeake ERgent Care perform a physical examination and discuss your symptoms. Additional testing used for diagnosis includes:
- Blood or urine tests
- Barium swallows or enemas
- Gynecological Tests
In house we can do: lab tests, Gynecological tests, x-ray and urine tests; *the other tests all must be ordered and done elsewhere.
The type of tests performed depend on where your abdominal pain presents itself. Chesapeake ERgent Care has an in-house laboratory, making same-day testing available for every patient.
How is abdominal pain treated?
How your abdominal pain gets treated depends on its cause. Some of the more prevalent options include:
- Medications – available on premises, both through prescription and IV
- Changes in eating habits
- Injections of numbing agents or corticosteroids
- Surgery for appendicitis or a hernia
For help determining the cause and treating your abdominal pain, call, click, or stop by Chesapeake ERgent Care in Gambrills, Maryland.