Chesapeake ERgent Care
Emergency Medicine located in Gambrills, MD
Over 100 different diseases fall under the umbrella of arthritis. Arthritis refers to pain and stiffness in the areas of your body where two bones meet. Over time, swollen joints become severely damaged, so you need expert management for your arthritis. To get the help you need, book an appointment today by contacting Chesapeake ERgent Care in Gambrills, Maryland.
Arthritis Q & A
What is arthritis?
Arthritis is joint inflammation in and around your body’s joints or the points at which two or more bones meet. While inflammation is a natural response to disease or injury, it also causes pain, stiffness, and swelling, as well as loss of movement. The different types of arthritis include:
- Juvenile: Affects children
- Infectious: Spread from another part of your body to your joints
- Osteoarthritis: Most common type of arthritis, usually related to aging or to an injury
- Gout: Often starts in your big toe, caused by too much uric acid builds up in your body
- Rheumatoid: Caused by your body’s immune system attacking your body’s healthy cells
- Psoriatic: A skin condition that causes itchy, painful scales and red patches
Regardless of which type of arthritis you have, the pain varies based on the amount of damage and swelling taking place within your joints. The inflammation of the tissues that line your joints, tendons, and ligaments, as well as any related muscle strain and fatigue also contribute to the amount of pain you suffer.
What causes arthritis?
While the causes of most types of arthritis are unknown, scientists believe three significant factors play a role:
- Medical history
- Current lifestyle
Besides the above causes, several risk factors increase your chances of developing arthritis, including:
- Age: Particularly true for osteoarthritis
- Gender: Arthritis is more prevalent in women
- Weight: Extra weight puts additional stress on your joints increasing wear and tear
- Work factors: Repetitive motion, along with heavy lifting, stress your joints
To determine if arthritis is the cause of your pain, the medical staff at Chesapeake ERgent Care does digital imaging.
How is arthritis treated?
Regardless of the type or cause, there is no cure for arthritis. Therefore, treatment focuses on relieving your symptoms and improving the function of your joints. Treatment options usually include the use of medication, exercise, heat or ice, and joint protection.
While most treatment begins with over-the-counter medicines, should you need a prescription or IV medication, it is available at Chesapeake ERgent Care.
To get help improving your arthritis symptoms, call, click, or head over to Chesapeake ERgent Care in Gambrills, Maryland.